CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Arts – Unplugged?

Technology in the Arts: It’s summer, and many people are taking the opportunity to “unplug.” Some are checking into special unplugged hotel rooms (and even getting a discount if they turned in their electronic devices at the desk). Others are paying as much as $14,500 to check in to a clinic that would help them conquer their Internet addiction. Last March, GOOD and the Sabbath Manifesto promoted the National Day of Unplugging, where participants disconnected from the internet for 24 hours. All of this “unplugged” stuff got me thinking — is the arts sector selling itself short as an “unplugged” venue?

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad people are getting help with their addictions as need be, that is a plus. However, how has it gotten to this point? I love my smart phone as much as the next person, but I have no problem putting it away or turning it off. Its also really sad that theatres are tapping into the smart phone avenue. Ok any business person would tell you that you should always make the best of your options. But I cannot believe that certain places let audiences use their phones during the show. This article even cites a study; "more reflective, quieter, more focused on the surroundings". That is from only 3 days of no tech, imagine what would happen if everyone did that for just a little each day, or on the weekends. Though I think that some places could find interesting ways to incorporate it, I just feel that the theatre really is one of the few places left that you can get away and use something else to stimulate your mind, and emotions