CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 26, 2011

Stage Right's 'Superstar' becomes a family affair

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Stage Right ends its current season with a family reunion of sorts for members of the Greensburg-based professional theater company.
The group's production of the Andrew Lloyd Webber-Tim Rice Broadway rock musical 'Jesus Christ Superstar' brings together an all-star cast of the company's veteran performers, including Vince Tresco as Jesus, Scott Sambuco as Peter and John Noble as the high priest Caiaphas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I read this article so as to understand it fully. My first thought was, "How is the onstage crucifixion suitable for children?" to "My GOD, I hope they don't G-rate this thing to people can take their fucking kids to see it..."

While I'm glad to see modern theatres willing to produce this controversial musical (it really saddens me just how controversial this show still is after 35+ years...), I can't help but feel the company (Tresco, the actor playing Jesus, especially) has kind of missed the boat on what the show really is about. To me, JCS has never been about touting how Jesus may have died for our sins but all about a MAN who questioned his beliefs. Judas does just that and fails the test, Jesus does as well and, while he may have passes the test, still gets fucking crucified...

This article made this production sound as if there was a glorification to JCS that needed to be told; and while I know many people believe just that, I don't believe that's the point of Rice & Webber's rock opera.