CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 28, 2011

‘Treasure Island,’ Directed by the Fight Master B. H. Barry

NYTimes.com: "CONVEYING with any accuracy the goings-on at a recent rehearsal of “Treasure Island” would come most naturally to a comic-book artist or perhaps a writer for the old “Batman” TV show. Swords and oars and barrels and fists oooff and shhkrit into one another, a seemingly endless barrage of chaos until B. H. Barry, the theater’s pre-eminent fight director for some 50 years, dived in for a quick correction. Would-be pirates in sweatpants stood attentively, a thwup morphed into a thwap, and the mayhem began again.

1 comment:

abotnick said...

"Treasure Island" is a great story with adventure and sword fighting and I think it will make a great addition to the Broadway stage. B. H. Barry said, “I want to make something that will interest boys, who have gotten out of the habit of going to the theater in America." And I think that's a great idea. I know growing up both of my older brothers loved "Treasure Island" and maybe if there was a play or musical back then they would have gone and seen and enjoyed theater instead of making fun of me for making it my career. Hopefully a show like this will peeked more young boys interest in theater and bring more young viewers to Broadway.