CMU School of Drama


Friday, January 28, 2011

The Playwright Matthew Lopez and ‘The Whipping Man’

NYTimes.com: "MATTHEW LOPEZ is ready for the question but continues to refine the answer. How did he, a self-described “foxhole Episcopalian” from the Florida Panhandle, the son of a Puerto Rican father and a Polish-Russian mother, come to write a play about a Jewish Confederate soldier and two former slaves raised as Jews who, in the charred wreck of a Virginia home after the Civil War, celebrate Passover together?

1 comment:

Sophie said...

When I started this article, I was a little curious as to how this man wrote this play. But as I continued the article, I completely understand. Just because he did not have the same experience as the people in his play, he did have similar emotional experiences. I think it's amazing how someone can write a play about something they don't actually know, but have the same feelings as the people who they are writing about.