CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 27, 2011

Katrina is the backdrop for a coming-of-age tale at City Theatre

Post Gazette: "Jocelyn Bioh teaches dance moves to 'Sunshowers' by Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, singing softly as her two co-stars, Larry Powell and Bria Walker, follow her lead. The man in charge and seated facing them in the large, open room quickly downloads the music onto his iPad. Speakers are summoned, and soon the trio is moving to the music, which is punctuated by the sound of rain.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

I had no idea what this play was about, though I have seen advertisements all around for this production. But after reading this article, I think that this could be one of the best plays of the season. First of all, the fact of the looming weather metaphor is brilliant, just because we can all remember when Katrina happened. It is one of those horrific tragedies in our history that can be used a as vessel, so that we can learn from it. The one photo of the design is really intriguing and gives of a perfect abandoned slightly desolate feel to it. What struck me most about the article is what the playwright said about his show. 'You take nature for granted in the way you take each other for granted. As a gay man, I take for granted that I'm OK with who I am, but kids are still having struggles today; teenagers are committing suicide over it. Just because I'm comfortable with who I am doesn't mean that people aren't still having real, strong struggles with who they are.' Even though I am not gay, this struck me as so unbelievably insightful. I think that we should all be aware of the fact that those around us might be having a hard time and just need someone to talk to. I think this play will do well, and could help many people.