CMU School of Drama


Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sherie Rene Scott’s Bumpy Road to Broadway

NYTimes.com: "THE last few days of March were the most nerve-racking of Sherie Rene Scott’s acting career. After trying unsuccessfully through the fall and winter to move her critically acclaimed Off Broadway musical, “Everyday Rapture,” to Broadway, she was emotionally raw and awash in self-doubt when, out of the blue, she learned that Roundabout Theater Company was considering her show as a last-minute replacement for its scuttled Broadway production of “Lips Together, Teeth Apart.”"

3 comments:

Bryce Cutler said...

I wonder if this trial, and emotional load Mrs. Scott is feeling will be added to her show. I read the review a while ago about Everyday Rapture and it got a great review and sounds like a lot of fun.

With such a short time period to rehearse, design and mount a full Broadway production I wonder if everything will be up to par with the other shows on Broadway. She is extremely talented and am sure that it will be, and if not- she will be beyond expectations.

Brooke said...

It seems like every part in this show affects Sherie Rene Scott emotionally. Not only is it based on her memories, the main character shares her name and she is the co-creator. It is no wonder that she considers it to be such an emotional toll in getting it to Broadway. I am a huge fan of Sherie Rene Scott, and am happy that she is finally getting to bring this show to Broadway, but like Bryce, I wonder if there is enough time to get it up to Broadway's standards.

Jennifer said...

What surprises me most about this article is that Sherie Rene Scott isn't considered "a name" on broadway. Between Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Last Five Years, she comes up a lot on my ipod. Also, I've found that there is a pretty big fan base for The Last Five Years and I'm sure any of those people would rush to see a show with Sherie in it. Its surprising to me the Roundabout and other Broadway houses didn't initially recognize that. I'm glad that she has found a place with Roundabout, she is a truly talented performer.