CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 18, 2010

'Storytime Adventures' aimed at Nickelodeon fans

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Characters from four of Nickelodeon's most popular preschool television shows are banding together on stage for one giant combo show that aims to give young kids their own version of Broadway.
Nickelodeon's 'Storytime Adventures Live!' features a portion each from 'Dora the Explorer,' 'The Backyardigans,' 'Wonder Pets!' and 'Ni Hao, Kai-Lan.' Then, after each of the approximately 15-minute scenes -- based on an episode from the television series -- have shown, all of the characters from the shows will appear on stage together for a fabulous finale, says Sam Scalamoni, director of 'Storytime Adventures Live!'"

3 comments:

tiffhunsicker said...

This seems like a great idea. Those shows on Nickelodeon are by far some of the most popular children's television shows that are currently running, and by having a show that features all of them, they are creating a world where kids can become introduced to theatre and learn to love it. The article describes how excited the kids are at the show, yelling, and talking back to the characters... I personally love seeing that. I have worked on multiple children's shows, and it always makes me smile seeing the excitement and energy from children that are enjoying theatre.

Devrie Guerrero said...

I love this idea. I wish i was exposed to theater so much earlier in my life because theater has changed my life. I think its great that they are finding a way to have a younger audience connect to theater by incorporating something the kids know and love. It's also great that they are responding so well.

Timothy Sutter said...

I agree with Tiffany. I feel that as a whole these shows are discredited because of thier child like audience. But they still are theater. They take an audience and move them to a world unlke tier own. No matter how young that audience may be. I also feel that the stories being told are the same as many of the "adult" plays that are seen on Broadway, but they are simplfied for the younger audience.