CMU School of Drama


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lucy Prebble Demystifies the Enron Scandal

NYTimes.com: "WHEN Enron slumped into bankruptcy in December 2001, Lucy Prebble was a 20-year-old English literature student at the University of Sheffield in northern England.
She discussed the scandal at a pub with friends, and a few questions lingered in her mind. How many of us do business with corporations even if we disapprove of their values? What does it mean for a company to “collapse,” anyway?"

2 comments:

Naomi Eduardo said...

This is certainly an interesting topic for a musical. I appreciate the need, however, to express and unravel all the confusion about a subject like this in a theatrical form. It seems that it's doing well, which is great for such a young playwright and even better that it's debuting on Broadway after having a successful run in London.

It also seems overwhelmingly obvious from this article, stories I've heard, and my personal experiences that many of these ideas come to fruition over drinks at the bar. It's certainly an interesting aspect of our culture.

Ethan Weil said...

It's really encouraging to me when I get to hear about even broadway taking on a show with a point, considering their role as a venue for art and culture, not just a tool for profit. I hope that th ey demonstrate that the two can coexist, although I'd like to think that the art matters most. As someone who will likely be working to support some sort of commercial venture for much of my life, I hope that we see more fusion of artistically meaningful - but also somewhat profitable theatre.