CMU School of Drama


Friday, January 15, 2010

Step Afrika! makes the whole body alive with music

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "In 'stepping,' a performer's body becomes like a big musical percussion system, with the hands and feet becoming like drums and cymbals.
On Sunday, steppers from an internationally touring group will be bringing the African-American art form to the Byham Theater. The show by Step Afrika! will dazzle the audience with the sophistication of sound the performers create from such simplicity, says C. Brian Williams, founder and executive director of Washington, D.C.-based group. Except for a few drums and some voices, the sound comes from the percussive dancing style, where the performers create intricate rhythms and sounds through a combination of footsteps, claps and spoken word."

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Step Afrika! Sounds like such a great experience, and an interesting show to watch. I appreciate and envy that this was started by black college students in their fraternities and soroities, as a way to honor their heritage and show their passion and love. It is all about the fun and the high eneregy, so there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a terrific performance. I wish that I could attend tonight but seeing as how that cannot happen I will jsut have to find them again in the future

Robert said...

This is an extremely cool art form. I would love to see this in person. I have heard of this and saw something on TV about it. It seems like it might be fun to do. I did not know that collage students started it in the 20th century and some of the groups that are touring are all college graduates. That is cool. I wonder how hard it is to do? I am sure it is very difficult to make it sound and look good. This is something I would like to go to see if one of these groups comes to the area. I think it would be a very cool thing to experience this different type of entertainment.

tiffhunsicker said...

Stepping has always fascinated me! I absolutely love the high energy and excitement that goes into one of these performances. I have seen other groups that are similar to this one, and I have never been disappointed. I would love to see another performance! This art form is one that just motivates me to want to move, and is something that almost everyone can connect with.

S. Kael said...

Though I've been told a million times that dance is a lower form of performing arts than "real theatre" is, I can't help but really enjoy the innovative nature inherent in the art form. Being able to create an entire show--movement, music, emotion--can be done in acting, don't get me wrong. But the love and passion put into the creation and long following of stepping really makes it a unique form of dance.

I would love to see how they "engage the audience", because I'm sort of a shy theatre-goer looking to get into a more hands on experience with performers.