CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tax Money For Unions

John Stossel: "They had no reason to hurry because no one ever got fired. There was no reason to work harder because union rules demanded everyone be paid the same. May union workers were masters not just at killing time but at killing innovation. “Can’t be done.” “Against the rules.” “Equipment won’t do that.” It stunned me that so many of them could be so indifferent to what I thought was important work. They cared about overtime. And lunch. They had endless discussions over where to eat."

1 comment:

Tom Strong said...

As a recent employee of one of the most unionized professions out there (public high school teacher) I've seen this first hand. The exact situation would depend on the school district, but in general the stronger the union the more the teachers did as little as they had to in order to keep their jobs. One day (at a school I won't mention, and not the one I was at most recently) I stayed a few minutes after the end of the day to help some students and another teacher walked in and asked why I'd do something like that since the contract didn't require it.