CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 28, 2009

Stephen Sondheim at Sanders Theater - Part 2

Everything I Know I Learned From Musicals: "Last week, I posted some of my notes from A Life in the Theater - An Evening With Stephen Sondheim, a conversation between Stephen Sondheim and Frank Rich at Sanders Theater in Cambridge, Mass. There was so much good stuff, I decided to break my notes up into two different posts. In my first set of notes, I included Sondheim's observations about some of his earlier shows, including Follies, Company, and A Little Night Music. Here, musical theater's greatest living practitioner discusses some of his later shows, as well as one of his first."

2 comments:

Elize said...

I have a book which is an interview with Sondheim which I've always loved. Nothing is more fascinating than the choices made by a brilliant artist. My favorite part of this interview was the bit about how his musicals were not meant for screen and what it took to make Sweeney Todd translate to the movies. Stories are taken down in a certain medium for a reason. Those reasons are always interesting.

Megan Spatz said...

I enjoyed how Sondheim admits to being inspired and motivated by previous musicals and stories. Sometimes I feel that people claim a story as their own original thought, without giving credit to the many other stories and adaptations that helped create it. Sondheim seems like he has a good attitude when it comes to "borrowing" ideas from other artists.