CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 28, 2009

Stage Lighting Skills And The Myth of Pro Lighting

On Stage Lighting: "Taking common lighting complaints of our readers, On Stage Lighting looks at the really vital skills you will need to succeed as a stage lighting professional and finds a surprising place to learn them. We also bust a myth about life on the professional side of the fence. No wobbly buckets, PC console emulators or LED based duvet covers were used in the making of this article."

1 comment:

dmxwidget said...

I do a show back at my Junior High School every year. I get hired back by the PTO for lighting support for the Variety Show. I get paid, don't have a budget from them, I have to use my own fixtures, hang, focus, program and design a whole show in about a weeks time. The onstage positions end up being some pars with scrollers (some on pipes and some on crank stands), FOH ends up being a truss on Chain motors rigged to the ceiling. I am always strapped for power and have to always find ways to get the most out of the system so I can have full control. The power I do have access to ends up being standard wall power, so there isn't much reliability in that.

The show always turns out well, but I wish I had more time, more power, more equipment, and more people to do it. These are what I want, but I have to make it work in the time allotted and with the equipment I have access to.