CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Star Wars music comes alive on stage

Houston Chronicle: "Age 63 is an odd time to begin acting like a rock star, but actor and teacher Anthony Daniels finds himself doing a show in one city, followed by travel, rehearsals and another show in another.
Daniels, best known for playing C-3PO in the Star Wars movies, is currently touring the country narrating Star Wars: In Concert, a lavish production that projects clips from the movie onto massive screens with John Williams' score performed by an orchestra. The stage veteran -- who lives in London except for when he serves as a visiting scholar at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh -- talked about stage, screen and wearing a robot suit."

2 comments:

Sonia said...

'...it took me years before it clicked that R2D2 and 3PO are like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern' That is great I love that he said that because in a way it really is so true. Anyway, this is a fun article I enjoy hearing his perspective on something that has been so engrained in his life for so many years. It is also interesting because I dont believe it was the same concert, but I think it was John Williams in Concert, or something like that which I saw in Detriot two years ago. It was amazing because I went with my chior and so like 20 of us got to stand in a room and actually meet him. It was incredible, and then the music was just so amazing as well that when he says its fun to watch the audiences reaction I compleely understand, because I am sure I looked like quite the enamored fool

cmalloy said...

Anthony Daniels is hilarious in person; I saw him on one of his visits to CMU three years ago. He's amazing, and I harbor a great deal of affection for him for who he's become. He went from "high art" to pretty much never escaping the "low art" paradigm and seems just as happy. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead indeed. Star Wars fans are a diverse group, but one cant deny the creative and literary merit behind the series. Even if Daniels' isn't a Sci-Fi fan, he's part of the culture now. Embracing it is the best thing one can do.

EMBRACE IT, DARN IT.