CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 28, 2009

One of a Kind

Carnegie Mellon University: "One of the oldest and largest student theatrical groups in the country, Carnegie Mellon's Scotch'n'Soda boasts 150 active members from seven colleges and 30 majors.
Tackling five to seven shows a year can seem like a full-time job. But you'd be hard pressed to find a group member who doesn't consider it a labor of love.
'We're a social organization that just happens to do theater,' said Alex DiClaudio (TPR'09, HNZ'11)."

2 comments:

Brian Rangell said...

Scotch'N'Soda certainly does seem to be unique in the realm of student theatre because of the sheer amount of cross-major and cross-school collaboration. While assessing my time to possibly participate with "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" (hint: there was no chance of pulling that one off in my schedule), I noted that only one member of the Executive Board is a drama major, and even so, he was a BHA student. It seems that SnS takes pride in being a place for non-drama students to perform, and there may be the smallest stigma against SODs participating. My only reprieve to that was that I wanted to perform while studying tech, so I think I could justify doing participating in a way "outside my major".

Jennifer said...

I'm glad to see this posted. Scotch'n'Soda really does put on a good show. It's a sign that you don't always have to be in the theatre department to have theatrical talent. I feel like that's obvious, but sometimes we kind of forget that in Purnell. It shows me that even computer science majors can take the time away from their code and rehearse for a good show. I hope that this post got the word out to as many people and I hope that a lot of people got to see the show.