CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Is Film Dead? Find out at the Three Rivers Film Symposium on November 13

Pittsburgh Art + Technology: "As part of the Three Rivers Film Festival, the second annual Film Symposium will look at the state of the film medium and its alternatives. Celluloid’s demise has been predicted for decades, with video advancing in picture quality, sound, portability, and affordability. Yet film has itself improved over the years, and 35mm film remains the standard of attainment for video. Will high-definition (HD) video, in some form, finally eclipse film?"

2 comments:

Brian Alderman said...

Yet another event i wish i had time to get to! I believe that film is not dead, but that it is just adapting. There is a difference between the movie industry and the film industry. I think film is becoming more of an artistic style, while the movie industry as a whole is moving towards digital and high definition. After having used a RED camera, i believe that the digital has finally surpassed the quality of film. It will take time for the audiences to adjust, but it is worth it because of the increasing realism digital delivers, as well as the cost benefits. This year, i believe all of the prime time evening drama's on the major networks were shot on digital HD- that's a signal of where the industry is going.

S. Kael said...

This is definitely a question I've begun to ponder myself; what is going to happen to the "old way" of art as a result of ever-expanding technology? As someone who is a very avid film-photography lover, I question if some day this won't be an option for me when I want to go out and shoot. Instead of packing rolls of film, I'll need to find my SD card and make sure my batteries are all charged up. Not that I know nearly as much about film, but I feel that there is something to be said for a method that has successfully entertained and awed the public for 115 years. Why fix what's not broken?