CMU School of Drama


Sunday, September 20, 2009

Michael McKean Returns to Broadway, by Way of Chicago

NYTimes.com: "WHEN Michael McKean first sat down to read Tracy Letts’s 'Superior Donuts,' he had the script in one hand and a menu the size of a novella in the other. “I took the play, and I went to the Westway Diner,” he said of the Midtown Manhattan restaurant popular with theater types. “I’m sitting there with tears streaming down my face, pounding the table and just behaving like a madman. Of course no one looked at me. It’s the Westway Diner.”"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Letts is a genius when it comes to his plays. August: Osage County was incredible because like his other plays you could connect. After seeing August, my dad turned to me and said did he just record our family and have people acting it out? That is Letts greatest ability to connect as the article suggest about the Donut shop. I can't wait to see this and see if me and others can really connect as the article suggest.

SParker said...

I am unfamiliar with other work of Letts, but this sounds like a wonderful concept. I really enjoyed how the article was about McKean's feelings about this play. Michael McKean is one of my favorite actors of all times, so I'm really excited for the fact that he will end up on Broadway again. I feel that this might be more appropriate if it stays in Chicago instead of moving, since it is set there.

Jennifer said...

This show sounds like a great blend of comedy and substance. The humor o spinal tap combined with a real story that people can relate. Everyone loves seeing themselves represente on stage and it sounds like this show does just that. I hope it does well and makes it to New York as planned.