CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 28, 2009

How To Make A Calendar Template In Excel

Make Use Of: "As an avid Excel user, I often find myself trying to do things with Excel that most folks would never consider. There are several reasons for this, but the most important is that Microsoft Excel has certain features that make certain unique formatting tasks extremely simple and easy to automate.
Earlier, I introduced MUO readers to my love affair with Excel when I wrote about how you can use it to create an effective household budget. I was also pleased to read some love from other MUO authors, such as Karl’s article about how to split a monster sized Excel spreadsheet, or Eyal’s Excel printing tips.
Today I’m going to share a few additional cool features in Excel that you can use specifically to make a calendar template in Excel."

6 comments:

Brooke Marrero said...

I think this article is very helpful if you want to print out a calendar template that you can then write on, but for typing information directly onto the calendar I would rather use Word. This is really because I use different fonts, colors, and text boxes in order to indicate different events, and I feel this would be easier in Word than Excel.

Jeanie said...

I prefer using multiple rows for each calendar day. It takes slightly more formatting to get the borders and dates set properly, but you can enter information much easier and at a variety of levels.

cmalloy said...

Excellent. Where was this last year when we were doing calendars in PTM? I guess I just didn't look hard enough for tutorials.

I agree is Jeanie's assessment; you need multiple rows for entering information.

It would be interesting to export this to a PDF and then futz with it in Adobe Acrobat Professional. Hmm. It happens to me a lot that a single program can't do everything I want to do; often digital artwork I have to edit continually with different resources to do different things. I guess it's the same for paperwork.

Katherine! said...

I love that this article in based on the 2003 version of the excel. If you have the 2007 version there are templates already made for you to use and be able to print out or fill in on the computer. In the template it allows you to choose the color scheme and how you want the design to look without having to set it up yourself. I guess if you don't have 2007 though, this is probably pretty helpful.

Ariel Beach-Westmoreland said...

Exactly. This is great for people who have an older version of excel, but with newer versions, like Numbers, you can go far beyond this. Being able to use excel and powerpoint to do things outside of the box is always a good thing though.

dmxwidget said...

Although this is a helpful tool for creating qucik and simple calendars, I find there are easier, and quicker ways to create calendars, and some can look much better. For a start, publisher makes a quick and easy calendar with many formatting options as well as very fast output. As for making an editable calendar on the computer with lots of text, something like calendar creator, or even outlook.