CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 24, 2009

Coating Foam

Props: "My wife and I are currently working on a project for a new show which is essentially a Styrofoam sculpture. It got me thinking about the various ways to treat and coat foam.
You need to coat foam with something. If you tried to paint raw foam, it will eat all the paint up. If you tried to use anything with a solvent, such as spray paint, it will dissolve the foam. Finally, uncoated foam is just too fragile for many uses, especially in theatre."

1 comment:

cmalloy said...

I've made fiberglass covered Styrofoam props before, mostly for stiff things that I need to be carried around (like giant swords). Fiberglass sucks. Last year Norm mentioned another method of curing muslin and using it as hard shell around the fiberglass. I think gesso still needs to be applied afterward to form a paintable surface.

I'm really excited to talk to our new propmaster and see what other ideas he has on the subject.