CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

One is the loneliest number for an audience

guardian.co.uk: "'You're the only one in tonight,' said the man at the box office as I picked up my ticket. It took a second for this to sink in. What, no one else? Just me? Yes, it seemed so; I was to be the sole audience member for Charlie Shand's When Do We Start Fighting? on a chilly midweek evening. The play is currently at the Courtyard theatre in Hoxton and is an atmospheric (if rather muddled) account of the Weathermen, the militant students in the 1960s determined to 'bring the war home'."

3 comments:

Katherine! said...

I can't even imagine what I would do if I was the only person sitting in a house with eight actors on stage. It seems so awkward. I wonder why they didn't just cancel the show if they only sold one ticket. I give the company props though for going on with the show.

C. Ammerman said...

I always thought that theaters had some kind of minimum attendance policy. Technically speaking the show does not have to happen, but I do wonder what a system that basically required enough patrons would be like. I really can't imagine being the only patron, it would feel something between terrifying, accidentally insulting, and probably just plain weird to have a stage of actors acting just for you.

Chris said...

I think that the opportunity to see a show alone. Yes, it would be awkward and uncomfortable, but to experience the full force of the spectacle has to be amazing. What would be interesting to see how the lack of a large audience effects the show. Because the interaction between the actors and audience is so important to the development of the production, it should be very different.

Congrats to the cast for pulling through...I wonder why they didn't cancel...