CMU School of Drama


Sunday, January 11, 2009

Want a bailout of the arts? Don't make the ask in an Armani suit

Arts Marketing: "When the big three automotive CEOs flew separate private jets to Washington, DC to plead for public funds, I remember thinking to myself that I was thankful that I was a publicist and marketing director for a non-profit arts organization. The type of arrogance it takes to fly corporate jets to ask for billions of dollars in public aid surely could only be found in the private sector."

2 comments:

AllisonWeston said...

This article reminds of me of the flack some self-proclaimed environmentalists who take private jets from coast to coast. Yes, sometimes this is necessary and allowable within reason, but it can be seen as hypocritical. Non-profit public arts advocates should also be allowed generous salaries within reason for the great work they do. But Armani suits? I feel as though that gives the wrong message and makes me wonder if we should be asking the non-profit owners for $ instead.

NatalieMark said...

To only look at the top 10 people in each field and say that people in theater are making good money is rediculous. You could do that with every industry and be incorrect on all counts. The issues that are occuring money wise are affecting a wide base. Because of this you have to look farther thanthe "top 10".