CMU School of Drama


Sunday, November 30, 2008

Nothing but His Songs - ‘Irving Berlin’s White Christmas’ at the Marquis Theater

NYTimes.com: "IF you didn’t know better, had never been taught the proper technique, you might approach a piano with your hands flat and fingers splayed, as if instead of striking the keys you were going to dribble them. This may be why Irving Berlin, who never studied music except with his ear, favored the ebonies over the ivories when he first started playing. His melodies found their home among the black keys, making excursions as necessary to the white, with the result that the tunes all emerged in the absurd six-sharp thicket of F-sharp major or its corresponding D-sharp minor."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not as much a fan of the staged show as I am of the movie. Perhaps I am so in love with the Bing and Rosemary,Danny and Vera that I cant get use to anyone else. Regardless the music always makes me have that warm fuzzy feeling, and I hope that this show brings in lots of patrons who can all walk away with some holiday cheer!

Elize said...

i'm not a huge fan of christmas spectaculars but i am a huge fan of Irving Berlin. i love that this article is as much a tribute to him as a review of the show. if the director maintains any of his musical integrity it should be great fun.

Kelli Sinclair said...

I think that it was a really smart decision to bring this musical to Broadway at this time. While it is not a new show it is still different from all the other Christmas shows that are always on Broadway like Grinch and Christmas Carol. This one is completely wrapped up in innocence, fun, and familiarity. The scene of family and reuniting is really strong in this show which people really need and want during this time of year.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could play piano. That would have been alot of fun to learn, and probably a really useful life skill. I love Christmas shows. I bet this one is beautiful.