CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 18, 2008

'Grapes of Wrath' bears fruit for Opera

PostGazette: "This is essentially Ricky Ian Gordon's achievement in his work, 'The Grapes of Wrath,' which opened its run at the Benedum Center Saturday in a top-rate production by Pittsburgh Opera. It is not a retelling of the novel, but an unpacking of its emotional core and even the greater tragedy of the Great Depression itself. Set with unaffected melody and underpinned by an orchestra both evocative and foreboding, transgressions hit the listener harder and tender scenes made the eyes moister, at least than I remember when reading the book years ago. The criterion for whether a novel should be translated into another art form must begin and end with the question: Can it offer something new? Gordon's most definitely does."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first read the headline I was skeptical, but when I learned that this isn't merely Steinbeck's novel onstage with a soundtrack I warmed up to the idea. I agree that music is probably the best way to convey the subtleties of a writing style.