CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 24, 2008

Toxic Avenger: The Musical Is A Spine-Ripping Good Time

I09: "Toxic Avenger: The Musical is all sorts of spinal cord ripping, potty-mouthed, toe tapping fun. Based loosely on the classic Troma gross-out film The Toxic Avenger, the musical still has Melvin Ferd and his gooey toxic waste transformation into New Jersey's own superhero, who saves the land from pollution so we all 'won't get cancer and die.' It's the self aware lines like that paired with the phenomenal supporting cast that made this show a lot of fun to watch. We've got an exclusive video from the show, for you 'Hot Toxic Love' fans."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This play sounds like something that I'd probably kill to see. Like I've mentioned before, it has that "so bad its good" feel that I really enjoy and wish that more theater would embrace. The plot is ridiculous. The costumes, probably over the top. Hell, I'm willing to be that it might even disgust some people with how weird it might be. That all being said, it seems inventive to me. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a Super Hero story on stage, so it does my comic loving heart good to know that theater is tapping the vein that Hollywood seems to be sucking dry these days.

Anonymous said...

Ok the video for it is hilarious. This seems to be one of those things that going to turn into a cult classic (Rocky?). I did like the guys make-up. Was a lot less then what i was expecting to be honest, but was still pretty cool.