CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 24, 2008

Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre shakes things up with two Pittsburgh premieres, starting with the season-opening The Great Gatsby.

Pittsburgh City Paper: "Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre may have reached a turning point. This season, after years of seeming to recycle a handful of story-ballet classics over and over, to the point of stagnation, artistic director Terrence Orr is stepping out of the company's comfort zone to offer audiences something different in the form of two Pittsburgh premieres."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a whole, I have to agree that the Pittsburgh Dance Council has been bringing in some really great groups and choreographers, especially the international works. I really appreciate the fact that they are trying to expose audience members to the wide range of dance styles that exists. I think its important for audiences to see that.

Anonymous said...

I first saw a poster for Great Gatsby towards the beginning of the school year, and ever since I've been wondering how one presents a story like The Great Gatsby as a dance piece. Based on pictures and billboards I've seen for Gatsby, the costuming looks amazing. I know they're imitating a period, but for some reason the costumes just look nothing short of amazing. It almost looks like they may be trying to mildly imitate the look of the movie, but regardless the costuming alone for this actually caught my attention to look more into.

AndrewLeitch said...

This looks cool! I'm glad to something different from the ballet, and I'm sure I'll try and see it. The costuming in the show does look intriguing, I just hope they continue on the track of not just imitating the period but also adding a bit of flare and updating it a bit more. Very neat stuff, though. I'm interested to see how this book and movie will be translated to the stage.