CMU School of Drama


Sunday, September 14, 2008

Please Sir, can we have some more? - Sir Cameron Mackintosh interview

Scotland on Sunday: "His new addition to the Scottish stage is a big one, and a self-confessed 'labour of love'. Mackintosh's musical staging of Mary Poppins, based on PL Travers' classic books, arrives at Edinburgh's Playhouse from award-winning stints in London and on Broadway. On a backstage tour in Birmingham, I get a sense of the sheer scale of the Mackintosh machine. Behind the scenes is as well choreographed as front stage, and the movement of the colossal dolls' house and chimney-top set is a jaw-dropping sight."

3 comments:

NorthSide said...

Sir Cameron Mackintosh's power scares me a little bit just because his name is that powerful. And I'm so glad he's humble about his career. (sense sarcasm). I admit that when Mackintosh and Disney came together for Mary Poppins I expected more from the collaboration because they are such entertainment giants. However, I think the work with Disney may have derailed some of its success. Mackintosh on his own may have produced a more original work of Mary Poppins then what was born.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a pretty neat production. I haven't really heard all that much about it, but it sounds like they really went for the spectacle. I've always loved shows like this. And I'd really like to work on something of this scale one day.

Anonymous said...

when i was working at miss saigon, the stage manager told me some of mckintosh's traits. he almost fired Kim who apparently gained a few pounds after the show opened. he definitely fired the driver who made him wait on a street after his dinner. and he happens to be the best musical producer in the history after rogers & hammerstein.