CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 29, 2008

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Pittsburgh City Paper - Pittsburgh: "Edward Albee's scorcher Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? has always occupied a special place in my heart. Not only is it one of the most important plays of the 20th century, it is also one of the most entertaining. It's three acts and three hours of almost nonstop theatrical fireworks: drama with a capital 'D' about two married couples passing a late night with sex, booze and endless emotional turmoil -- a veritable rollercoaster of screams, laughs and chills. What's not to love?"

2 comments:

Kelli Sinclair said...

I'm a little surprised that Albee has updated his play. I'm sure this has been done before and will continued to be done, but on the most I feel like most plays do not get updated or changed. I agree with the language changes that Albee has made for the reasons of generation difference of when it was first showed and now. These updates, though small, make a differnce in how the audinece will view the play. This language will connect more with this generation and in a way will update that characters to this time.
As for the other changes I'm not exactly sure if I agree.

Anonymous said...

I really fell in love with this play last year when I read it for Directing I and have since been looking out for any performances of it. It's great to see this kind of play being adapted for the time that it's in and I'd really love to see the changes and how they change my reaction to the story.