CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 29, 2008

Spoonflower

Cool Tool:

"I am an architect and have been working with programs like Photoshop for years, but Spoonflower really opened up a new world for me: fabric design. It's a service that let's you upload an image to a web site and the company prints the design as a pattern on 100% cotton fabric. Their customer service is great, and I think the fabric is reasonably-priced: it costs $18/yard, not counting shipping, and an individual 8x8-inch swatch is $5. The site is still in beta, so I had to request an invite to use Spoonflower, but a week after contacting them I was experimenting with patterns and ordering fabric."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty nifty. I wonder if they're really picky about copyright issues.. A lot of my favorite sports teams have stopped licensing their fabric in the last five years, and with the Rag Shop going out of business, it's almost impossible to find it anywhere.

AllisonWeston said...

This sounds absolutely amazing! I wonder if you could paint something, like waves, then take a picture of it and have it turned into a fabric. It could be like silk screen printing. I would like to see fabric that looks like it was painted on! I will try should I find the right opportunity!

AndrewLeitch said...

Cool! This must be a very interesting thing in the costume industry as well, I would think. The ability to dream up patterns and have them matched exactly would just add one more level of specificity to a given design, not to mention it's efficient. Probably not for your average community theatre, but custom fabric patterns definitely seems like something for the higher-end theatre around the world.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really impressive. It's really suprising too how cheep it is. The only potential problem if it was used for theatre or on a show at cmu is the lead time. It must be hard to transfer an image between the colors and the shape into fabric. After the designer designed the pattern they would then wait approximately a month and then have to create all of the clothing with the fabric in time for dress rehearsals. Even though this may not work with theatre it is still a really interesting product of the technology we have available today.

Laura Oliver said...

Speaking of Etsy shops, I think this could be a great thing for the handmade craft movement at large. No need to settle anymore for run of the mill prints! I love it.