CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 29, 2008

LYNN NOTTAGE

Los Angeles Times - calendarlive.com: "'IAM interested in the personal aspects of history, more than history in big, bold letters -- the kinds of intersections that occur between people who might not normally come into contact. Each play happens in a different way. It can begin with a quotation I can't get out of my head, or I can hear the character speak to me. Sometimes something I read will outrage me. 'Vera Stark' began when I saw a 1930s film called 'Baby Face,' with Barbara Stanwyck and Theresa Harris. I was surprised by how progressive the film was, how it showed a relationship between a black woman and a white woman that seemed somewhat authentic. Harris was so beautiful and strong and magnetic. I began to wonder who she was, and how she would negotiate Hollywood."

No comments: