CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 23, 2008

Actors Ask SAG to Limit Voting Pool

Backstage: "Vaughn states in the letter, 'The challenging reality is that two-thirds of SAG's 120,000 members consistently earn less than $1,000 per year as SAG actors, and only one in five SAG members earns even $7,500 annually. But anyone holding a SAG card can vote on our major contracts... . If those who approve or reject contracts don't have a concrete stake in the outcome, they are vulnerable to manipulation…. What's more, the possibility of a job action is taken much more seriously if it comes from those who are actually doing the work.'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I really agree with Vaughn's claim here. I don't think that there should be any restriction on who in SAG gets to vote on these contracts, because even if people only work a few days a year, their contract for those few days still will be dictated by the SAG requirements. If these "lower" members listen to both sides of the argument, I'm sure they are capable of making their own, educated decisions.

Anonymous said...

I would think that those with the least financial strength as actors would be affected the most here. Were I an actor not making enough to have a vote in the union I would ponder the point of having said union.