CMU School of Drama


Saturday, December 01, 2007

College Chronicles #11: Leena Resists the Student Work Day, Hits Rock Bottom, then Rises from the Ashes with a Stunning Plan of Her Own

Study Hacks: "When we last checked in with Leena, things were not going well. Her overwhelming MIT workload was taking a toll. She was procrastinating, often leaving work until well after midnight. She was falling behind in classes. Her sleep was erratic. Her stress growing. It was time to intervene. We sat down and made a full audit of her work responsibilities. We then worked out a student work day that would actually capture all of this work. It wouldn’t be easy, but it would give her a handle on her obligations and keep her from falling behind or staying up late. Seeing what was possible inspired Leena. But things didn’t go as planned…"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the four tips they gave. Not sure what happened to the rest of them. It is definitely true that things become harder towards the end of the semester. You can't wait to have a vacation, but the two weeks leading up to that are complete hell. YAY!

Anonymous said...

I really like this article, it is definitely one of my favorites this week. I feel like I need to do something like this over winter break. As everyone has told me over and over, it isn't that I don't have good ideas, and it isn't that I plan on not doing the work. I always have schedules and plans, but recently I just haven't been able to follow them anymore. Maybe it is that I've stopped taking them seriously. Whatever it is, this break will be very necessary in figuring out exactly what is going on, and how best to approach success next semester.

Michael 'Rico' Cohen said...

This article makes me a laugh just a little bit. This semester particularly, i think i finally hav established my student work day. 8am-2:30a.

I think it is harder on people's mind and bodies to have one day of 10 hours of sleep, and then one day of no sleep. Moderation is the best, and keeps consistency to one's life.

Harriet said...

I think that moving off campus and/or having stu-tech has really helped with getting homework done. Both of which can be places of work and without the distractions of other people. It is also easy to get centered and to just get the work done.

The problem is always starting, once you get started the rest comes along at a good pace.