CMU School of Drama


Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tips for Posting Online

randomthoughts: "I have been writing a paper about how posting things on Facebook or other social-networking sites has caused administrators of colleges to review their policies and created an interesting ethical and legal debate. I won't go into to many details (unless you ask) but I will say that I think it's critical that universities own up to the responsibility to teach students how posting to these sites can negatively affect their lives."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this article. People need to realize that any personal information you post about yourself is potentially available for everyone to see. During the summer I was asked to look through facebook and find the incoming freshman, select a picture of them and any general personal information. In a few cases it was hard to find a photo that wouldn’t have been embarrassing for that person if a faculty member had seen it. So much of today’s communication is internet based, and you need to be prepared that your first impression to someone may be your online profile.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It could be the first step to having people calling you for no reason, or worse stalking you.
In times where a lot of information is just a click away, it definately helps to be cautious.

Anonymous said...

I can personally relate to the affects of this if a FRIEND uses your name on their site. I Googled myself and found a video that came up on my friends website. When I looked at it I realized that the way it came up in the search was that my first name was written in one part of the page and the comment under the video had my last name in it. So with the two combined it came up when I Googled my name. I think it's a funny video, but everyone has their own opinions of how to respond to things. So I would also suggest to people that you check out your friend's sites to keep your internet information in check.