CMU School of Drama


Friday, July 27, 2007

Distaff and Distinguished: The new wave of women directors

Backstage.com: "There's a preconceived notion of what a Hollywood director is supposed to look like. 'He's 25 to 45 and has that kind of scruffy, slightly rumpled look,' says Kasi Lemmons, the filmmaker behind Eve's Bayou, The Caveman's Valentine, and the recently released Talk to Me. 'And he's a white man.' She laughs, gesturing to her flowing dreadlocks and decidedly nonscruffy appearance. 'I do not fit that aesthetic.'"

1 comment:

sarah benedict said...

It was really fascinating to see the various paths each female director took to her position. I am going to be a theatre major in a few years and the biggest thing I am struggling with is what path I prefer. I have strong interests in design, directing and dramaturgy. After spending my summer looking at various intense conservatory schools, who all want you to specialize, it was refreshing to see that actual people vary in what role they take in theatre. Also I would imagine that their dynamic backgrounds improved their directing dramatically. They could relate to the actors, because they used to be one, or understand why the set can’t have a random door their, because they used to be an architect.