CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 27, 2007

Will the £25m Lord Of The Rings musical be a monster hit?

the Daily Mail: "Welcome to The Lord Of The Rings, the musical - the biggest, most spectacular, expensive and ambitious piece of theatre ever to be produced.
Or at least it will be when, after more than four years of sleepless nights for producer Kevin Wallace, a dry run in Toronto last year, four months of rehearsals, six weeks of previews and £25million investment, it finally opens on June 19."

2 comments:

shupcey said...

I heard about this back when it was in Toronto. Actually I was at the theatre it premiered at before the show opened. But definitely one of the things I remember hearing about it was its MASSIVE cost. It looks incredible. My only complaint is that the people look ugly. Like, absolutely hideous. I know in the movie its very different, but everyone looked gorgeous with that curtain of fantasy over them (except of course the orcs) but in this production everyone has this grotesqueness to them, even the elves. I would still be very interested in seeing it. It looks highly impressive.

Anonymous said...

WOW...I heard this was pretty bad. The cost was massive and its return was small. I think it was a good idea to have the vision of one day seeing this show up, but I do not think this is the right time. Too many people will have expectations that could not be put on stage. But the impossible is always desired in the entertainment industry, so perhaps I am wrong....but I dont really think so :-)