CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 25, 2007

John Kani: Activist, humanitarian, actor, and playwright

The Tartan Online: "Before he’d even said a word, visiting dramatist John Kani received a standing ovation from the nearly packed Philip Chosky Theater in Purnell. Lecturing on the afternoon of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Kani was perhaps the physical embodiment of the phrase “his reputation precedes him.” And there it was: As Kani emerged onto the stage and took his first few steps towards the podium, there was almost too much to clap for."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been completely speechless about John Kani since that day. It isn't nearly enough to say that I was "ablaze with readiness and utter fascination. Not by a sight. And as Liz Bradley said, "he's really, I think, affected the lives of everybody he's touched here." After that day my love for theatre and passion for everything I do and learn was refueled just as I was starting to feel like I was going to burn out. His story and his overall vibe was contagious and ridiculously inspiring. I don't think there was anyone in that auditorium that left the same as they went in. It was a collective mindblowing experience and I will remember it forever.