CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 25, 2006

Production Planning - Props Assignment

Question:

I had a question for you concerning the project due on Wednesday. I have been to Pier 1, Arhaus, and Pottery Barn and none of them will rent out a table. I was wondering if you had any suggestions of places that you know would rent something out.

Answer:

It isn't a requirement of the assignment to find a place that will rent a piece, just sort of gravy. The real guts of the assignment is the decision of whether to buy or to build.

But for the sake of discussion... I would think that national chains, unless you have a relationship with the management are likely going to be a no-go. I might have thought you possibly could have had luck with Arhaus, but I am not surprised they won't. Weisshouse might be a possibility, especially if the item is in their clearance stock, but again, I wouldn't be surprised if they said no too.

Hitting Google shows you Cort. They are a national rental chain. Also a place with the name "Pittsburgh Rental Furniture" of all things. So there are rental options available in town - although I am not sure how many would rent to you if you told them you were doing a show.

Just remember for the assignment comparing the buy price with the build price is what you are going for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found that if you go to less comercial locations (antique stores, second-hand stores, etc.) and can speak with the owner or manager they are very amiable about discussing rentals or even borrowing props. For my assignment I went to a store called Casablanca in Squirrel Hill and they were very excited to talk to me about the project and very quick to suggest rental prices and security deposits. So look to a store a bit out of the ordinary if you want to contribute the "gravy" of this assignment. - Maddie Regan