CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 19, 2006

the Bruntwood Playwriting Competition

Guardian Unlimited Arts: "Tomorrow's playwrights are preoccupied with working-class angst and urban deprivation, according to the judges of a major new writing award. The Bruntwood Playwriting Competition, established by Manchester's Royal Exchange Theatre and boasting a total prize fund of £45,000, has identified a new generation of writers tackling issues of sexual disorientation and racial intolerance - but showing little interest in domestic or international politics."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess coming from a small town in North Carolina, I don't really have any experience with inner city youth violence. I am sort of suprised to see it as such a big topic for playwrighting. I always knew there were problems in terms of gang violence, but it all seems to alien to me that I would have thought the war in Iraq would have played a bigger role. BUT I am very glad to see that it hasn't. Even though the war is certainly a viable topic to talk about, I think connecting to something that you have had experience in dealing with first hand is certainly more affective on an audience than speculation. No one really knows what goes on over in the war zone, so doing it correctly could be significantly compromising and painful.