CMU School of Drama


Thursday, June 29, 2006

New job: TD for Bay Area Playwrights Festival

I am looking for a technical director for the Bay Area Playwrights Festival (to replace someone I previously hired who has taken other work.) I was invited to join this site by Sophia Fong who has held this job previously.

The full scope of the job is as follows:
* Design, hang & focus rep lighting plot
* Oversee load-in of lights, rear projection screen and simple rehearsal furniture
* Work with visual arts curators to install artshow in theater lobby and transform slides of visual artwork into powerpoint presentations
* Coordinate and staff 7 three-hour technical rehearsals for staged reading performances, including creation of lighting and slide cues
* Oversee all technical needs and mishaps (on-call basis)
* Oversee load-out

Because I am filling this position at the last minute, I am open to distributing the duties among more than one person, although my preference would be to hire someone who can fulfill the whole job. The technical aspects aren\'t really very difficult - what is more critical is having a capable big-picture thinker in the role who can help create a smooth flow to a complicated festival.

The key dates are:

Early-mid July - 2 productions meeting to be scheduled
Sun 7/23 & Mon 7/24 - Load in & light hang at Magic Theatre
Tue 7/25 - Art Installation @ Magic Theatre
Wed 7/26-Sun 7/30 - 10 to 12 hour days with tech rehearsals & shows
Mon 7/31 - off
Tue 8/1-Sun 8/6 - Rehearsals & shows (lighter schedule on Tue 8/1-Thu 8/3)
Mon 8/7 - Load out

I can\'t really offer $ figures until we have a more complete conversation about your availability and what functions you could perform, but I can say that I have a sense of being able to offer a TD $800-1200 depending on how much of the work they can complete.

Please feel free to call me directly on my cell phone at 415/828-1440 at any time to discuss this position further.

Christine Young
Associate Artistic Director
Playwrights Foundation
Dates: Jul 10, 2006-Dec 31, 1969

No comments: